Tuesday 7 August 2018

A Spot of Upcyling

One of my favourite creative things to do is to find unloved items and give them a new lease of life and when I saw a Facebook challenge last week on Junk Journals and Mindful Mixed Media Art's page  with the theme ' Alter Something' I had to play along.  A quick trip to the charity shop provided some perfect items and I was soon up to my eyes in paint, glue and ink doing my thing and I was so pleased with the results that I thought I'd show you what I got up to. 

The first thing I chose was an old oil lamp with a glass base. I love oil lamps, there's something special about cosying up of an evening under the glow of one, and Autumn will be here soon enough for me to enjoy just that.



I really didn't like the glass base, so the first thing I did was cover it in layers of tissue to create some texture, and over that I then used layer of Golden Crackle Paste. Once I was happy it was thick enough, well cracked and thoroughly dry,  I applied a thick coat of black gesso over the top. While that dried I I got to work on the glass shade, stamping a moth from Visible Image all over it , then carefully painting in a splash of colour. I won't lie- that bit was a total faff as it was such an awkward shape to stamp on, but I persevered and am glad I did! With the gesso dry, I was then able to add some colour, which I did with a combination of High Flo acrylic paints and Indigo Blu Luscious, dripping it down from the top until I was happy. 


I absolutely love it lit!


My second charity shop find was a (quite frankly rather hideous) clock. I do like a challenge though, and as soon as I saw it I envisaged a steampunk type timepiece so I parted with my pennies and brought it home. 


I wanted to create layers of depth, so I used air drying clay to create cogs to overlay on the front, and added some paper flowers and a metal butterfly, then went to town with the gesso all over it. 


The magic with this kind or art really happens of course when the colours are added and it springs to life in front of your eyes. I opted to use Indigo Blu Luscious powders again, mixed with water to create a paint. I also used some Imagination Crafts Starlight paints. I dabbed away with various colours, creating an interesting mottled effect.  Once dry I used Metallic Magic waxes from Luv Crafts to add highlights, and adhered a painted sentiment from Samantha K on the front. 

The clock face itself was too stark, and I remembered that I have a lovely stamp from Sheena Douglass of a clock face. As luck would have it, it was the perfect size! I stamped, embossedand cut it out and added it inside the original clock face. It finished it off perfectly don't you think?


I was absolutely thrilled when the challenge closed to discover that I had won. I can't wait to receive my prize of stamps from Indigo Blu!

While I was in the altering mood I also had a go at some more home decor- a mirror for my new bathroom. These mirrors are cheap as chips from Ikea and so much fun to play with. 


I threw pretty much everything at this- rice paper, texture paste, paints, glitter, beads, rusty magic to name a few. I love these mermaids from Samantha K  and have already decorated a treasure chest with one on to sit in my bathroom so the mirror compliments it perfectly. 


Well that's just about it from me this week. In addition to my upcycle projects I have also done some crafty shopping- well it's my birthday at the weekend so it would be rude not to have bought myself a few gifts wouldn't it?! Maybe I'll share those purchases and my makes with them next week. 

Until then, have a great week. 

Lynda
x


No comments:

Post a Comment