Tuesday 29 May 2018

Creativity is a Journey

Good morning! It's just a quick post from me today as I have a busy busy day ahead. It's half term here and while I am fortunate enough to have the week off, so no childminded children to entertain, my daughter has a friend coming to stay and we are off out later to go swimming, then have to get a yummy picnic prepped for a day at the zoo tomorrow. Should be fun!

This week I have been pondering my crafting journey a lot. I remember vividly around ten years ago, deciding that I wanted to try my hand at making a card for a little boy I looked after. I went to Hobbycraft, excited to be purchasing my very first card making supplies. I came out feeling totally overwhelmed by all the different products on display and pretty clueless as to what to do with them all. I didn't want to ask the assistant and appear stupid so browsed while attempting to look like I knew what I was doing, for ages.  I did manage to find a basic kit pack, so bought that in the end and took it home, praying it had everything in it that I needed. Fortunately it did, and a simple card with a little sparkly fish on it was made. Amazingly I have managed to find a picture of it lurking on my computer so here goes....



As traumatic as I found the whole craft shopping experience then, I am not a woman to be deterred and I decided I needed to learn more. Something about that little fishy card had really sparked my interest in paper craft. I started buying card making magazines, which were great for not only giving me tips and techniques, but also starting to build my stash as they came with free stamps and dies. I very quickly realised I needed a die cutter to use with these wondrous little pieces of metal, and dropped enough hints that my husband offered to buy me a Cuttlebug. Once that arrived I was well and truly hooked!

My first card using die cuts
Over time, and as part of my learning to master this new craft, I began to use social media as a research tool, joining card making groups on Facebook, and following crafters on Pinterest.  Like many crafters I was ( and still am)  my own worst critic, and would post my work on groups to ask for tips to improve etc. I was blown away by the support, and gradually started to believe in my abilities thanks to them. I also made some incredibly good friends along the way. 

I developed an interest in colouring and digital stamps, and through sharing my work online, I ended up being invited to apply for design teams. Well that just blew my mind! Little Miss Overwhelmed By A Craft Store was now considered good enough to apply for a DT!! Nervously I applied, and was staggered when I started getting accepted onto teams. It was so much fun. It also gave me confidence to keep pushing myself and learning more. So I started to attend some mixed media workshops and really never looked back. 

An early card with a digital stamp

So, skip forward to today, and now as you know if you have been following the blog, I am currently serving on Samantha K and Polly Allsorts , and Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog design teams,  and this week I have joined another and can announce I am very excited to be working with Luv Crafts and their fabulous products too. I can't quite  believe that these amazing organisations want l'il old me to produce art for them. What a total honour it is. 

Stalking the postman who was carrying my new DT pack

I guess what I am trying to say with this post is that wherever you are in your own creative journey, and whatever your ability now, never give up on it of it's something you enjoy. It can be overwhelming at times, especially when you see so much amazing art on social media, and vast products ranges in stores, but just have fun with what you do in your own way and who knows where it could lead you. I'm still pinching myself as to where it's taken me that's for sure. 

Now I must dash as my quick post became rather long after all!

Have a great week.

Lynda
x






2 comments:

  1. I was 15 the first time I saw clear embossing powder used over an image stamped with kaleidoscopic ink pad... at a Craft fair in Winnipeg whilst on a student exchange and it was MAGIC. Real.Life.Magic!

    I still have the first unicorn rubber stamp I bought... and still look back on my oldest makes and feel I have progressed into a comfortable place to learn more... with out looking like I have no clue!

    Thank you for sharing.. I know people start from somewhere.. and can get there if they have the right confidence. It's the only craft supply you cannot buy... but is hard to have on hand at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. I'm still awed by the magic of embossing powder now. Will never tire of it.
      I love that your first stamp was a unicorn! X

      Delete